Our curriculum is broken up into six themes. The six themes will be taught during the six retreats in the order that is most appropriate for each cohort. The general themes can be explored below.
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE SOUL
A comprehensive overview of caring for the soul using historical, theological and practical insights to aid in a practice of soul care.
- Overview of the two-year experience
- What is soul care and how do we care for the soul?
- Surveying ancient models of soul care
- Understanding the Jesus Way; developing a rhythm for life
- Exploring the tools for soul care; classical spiritual exercises used in soul care
- Soul friends; the role of community and spiritual friendship
Soul identity: Choosing to become the real you
The movement from image management to our core identity as the Beloved of God.
- Choosing to become the real you
- Knowing and owning your story
- Life mapping/Listen to my life
- Threats to our true identity: Compulsions of the 7 deadly sins
- Being the Beloved
- True-self, false-self
Soul Care as a catalyst for transformation
Understanding the transformation process; how change happens in one’s life.
- How does a person really change?
- Spiritual growth vs. inner change
- How is the soul renovated? Understanding the process
- Practices that create the climate for transformation
- Investigating illusions of how people change
- The role of the Holy Spirit
- Exploring common obstacles to transformation
- The critical journey of our spiritual formation
The Inside Job of Effective Leadership
Exploring the needed and necessary work to be done in the soul of any leader who attempts to lead well and in healthy ways.
- Defining success. Doing the inner work as a part of the real work
- Comparing the inner markers of success to outer markers
- Exploring our dark side of leadership and redemption
- Understanding why character matters in the workplace
- The leader’s personal rhythm and how to lead a church, organization or business in a sustainable rhythm that embraces success as well as well-being
- Understanding limits
- Necessary steps in leading and living with resilience for the long haul
- Finding contentment in work, life and relationships
Critical Issues in Offering Care of the Soul
Exploring the critical issues the soul encounters as we live on this side of heaven
- Evil, suffering and pain—exploring the unholy trinity
- Burnout, exhaustion and hitting the wall
- Sexuality and brokenness
- The body-soul connection
- Brokenness, disillusionment (shattered dreams) and despair
- Hot topics and soul care
Integrating the Care of Your Soul with the World
Incorporating the Care of Your Soul with Living Care-Fully in a Care-Less World
- The active contemplative
- Discerning your true vocation and calling
- Developing a manual/field guide for life and work
- Developing your rule of life
- When spirituality collides with reality
- Exploring the intersection of soul and world
- Engaging the great needs of today with your soul’s delight
- For the sake of others—helping others